Good Neighbor Program2021-11-22T15:43:58+00:00

Good Neighbor Program

We want to be good neighbors and get along with folks living next door, across the alley and down the block. Sometimes, though, conflict arises between neighbors. It may be about the physical condition of a property or someone’s behavior. Whatever the issue is, the City of St. Louis has a protocol for resolving conflict among neighbors. 

We created a flow chart—the path you should follow—to help solve disputes. Here’s a quick step-by-step for you:

  • Ask whether your concern relates to a property condition or a person;
  • Call the police if you believe the activity may be criminal;
  • If it’s not an urgent situation, reach out to your neighbor and let them know about your concern. Ask what can be done to address the issue;
  • If your neighbor doesn’t respond, follow the flow chart and reference the “Frequently Asked Questions” (below);
  • Always keep notes about who you spoke with, when you spoke with them, and what they said they’d do to address your concern.

Our hope is by working through the steps (and the flow chart) you can solve most disputes. But we know resolution isn’t always possible. We’re ready and willing to help. Just email us at if you’re stuck in the process or dissatisfied with an official’s response. 

What is a nuisance?2021-11-22T15:41:53+00:00

A nuisance is defined by City ordinance. The ordinance is No. 69730, and defines a nuisance as: 

“A continuing act or physical condition which is made, permitted, allowed or continued by any person or legal entity, their agents or servants or any person or legal entity who aids therein which is detrimental to the safety, welfare or convenience of the inhabitants of the City or a part thereof, or any act or condition so designated by statute or ordinance.”

So, what are some examples of a nuisance?2021-11-22T15:41:48+00:00

Some behaviors or conditions are obvious nuisances. Prostitution, illegal selling of drugs and alcoholic beverages, and operating a business without proper licensing are all examples of conduct considered nuisances. Whether other activities or conditions are nuisances is often subjective. For instance, the length your neighbor allows her grass to grow or how he maintains his home may annoy you, but may not qualify as a nuisance under City ordinance. Generally, a nuisance is anything that causes a dangerous condition, which is continuing in nature.

I’m concerned about criminal activity on my block. What should I do?2021-11-22T15:41:43+00:00

Don’t attempt to address it yourself or confront the person you believe to be committing the crime. Rather, get as much detail as possible about the activity and immediately call 9-1-1 to report what you believe to be illegal.  If you have video of the activity, tell the investigating officer. It’s important you report what you see, as a call log for reports and the type of activity at a given address is tracked.

I don’t think my neighbors are doing anything criminal, but I think there’s a dangerous condition on their property. What should I do?2021-11-22T15:41:34+00:00

You should first try to talk with your neighbor – as long as you feel safe in doing so. Tell them about your concern. Ask them politely to take action, to please change their behavior and/or remove, replace or repair the condition you believe to be a nuisance.

I did that, but nothing has changed. Now what?2021-11-22T15:41:30+00:00

You should report your concern to the Citizens’ Service Bureau (CSB). You’ll need to provide specific details. The CSB will want:

  • The exact address or location where services are needed;
  • Whether the property is vacant or occupied; and
  • Your concern

The CSB representative will give you a service request number and the estimated date by which the department will respond. You can use this service request number to check the status of your request either online or by phone.

How do I reach the CSB?2021-11-22T15:41:25+00:00

They are as follows:

  • Phone: 314-622-4800 (MON-FRI, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
  • Email:
  • Web:
  • Twitter: @stlcsb
I’m not happy with the CSB’s response. What’s my next option?2021-11-22T15:41:20+00:00

First, reach out to the Neighborhood Improvement Specialist (NIS) assigned to our neighborhood. The NIS’s primary job is to identify and address issues existing in City neighborhoods. The NIS works with neighborhood residents, neighborhood groups (like Hill 2000), the local alderman, and police to successfully resolve issues brought to his/her attention.  The NIS exists to resolve behavioral issues as well as unsafe physical conditions on a property.  Brian Kolde is the NIS assigned to the Hill. His number is 314-657-1364.

For more information about a NIS’s responsibilities, visit:

If your concern is about the physical condition of your neighbor’s property2021-11-22T15:41:15+00:00

call the building inspector assigned to the Hill (314-622-3313).

If your concern is about a problem behavior2021-11-22T15:41:11+00:00

and you want to remain anonymous, you can report the nuisance at: *67-231-1212. (NOTE: *67 keeps your identity anonymous)

I’ve done all of the above…and the problem still exists! Now what?2021-11-22T15:41:05+00:00

Reach out to Joe Vollmer, the Ward 10 Alderman:

  • Phone: 314.622.3287
  • Email: 

The Hill 2000’s Safety & Security Committee (S&SC) is also here to help! Email us at: or stop by the Neighborhood Center at 1935 Marconi Avenue. Either way, just provide your name, contact information and concern.  A S&SC member will be in touch to discuss your problem and how we might assist you.

What happens if an agency confirms the existence of a nuisance?2021-11-22T15:41:01+00:00

It goes to the Problem Property team for the City of St. Louis. The team is a partnership between the NIS, a Problem Property policy officer and a Problem Property prosecutor. The team uses legal means—summonses and, in extreme circumstances, closure of the property—to stop illegal activity.

Ordinance No. 69730 allows the Problem Property Team to send summonses to a property’s owners, tenants and guests and to close the property and board it up for 12 months. Fines in these circumstances can range between $100 and $500 and/or 90 days in jail.